Sign Up To Keep Up To Date on CCM Concerts in the Philippines!

Keep Up To Date on Pinoy CCM Events
Name
Email

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Simply Complicated III


In stories I've read, it seems like you've been seeking forgiveness for your divorce. Does it seem that Christians have been slow to extend grace and forgiveness?

Grant: That depends who you're talking to. I just did an interview with a Christian radio station, and he asked, "How have you found people to be?" He was anticipating that my personal experience was that people have been very judgmental. But my experience is that people who have been through painful, difficult times are filled with compassion. And those compassionate people were the first to say, "Keep putting one foot in front of the other. God's merciful in Plan B. Don't give up. It was never about your goodness in the first place." Those were the people who filled the horizon of my world. Those were the people who said, "Hey let's just say a prayer right now," and they would lead me through the most merciful prayer that reminded me of God's love. I have not had one face-to-face lambasting from anybody.

Everybody's entitled to think whatever they want and to express that, but my personal day-to-day experience does not come into contact with any of those people. I'm not surrounded by "yes men"—far from it. But I think people are a lot braver to say things from their own soapbox. From a distance, it's easy to be judgmental and grandiose about your opinions. But none of us, face-to-face with a wounded human being, often chooses to be cruel. Do I think I've been the emotional piƱata at a few parties? Maybe, but they were never parties that I was invited to.

On your new CD, the song "Eye to Eye" includes the line, "I'd like to figure out a way to leave a troubled past behind." Have you figured that out yet?

Grant: From a songwriting standpoint, I'd give an A to "Eye to Eye." But it was a group effort; Keith Thomas and I wrote the song together. So, don't read it as entirely autobiographical. The line you quoted, part of it is true, and part of it is poetic license.

"Happy," the opening song on Simple Things, begins with a line that includes the words "behind your eyes." Your last pop album was called Behind the Eyes. That's no coincidence, right?

Grant: It was just a coincidence. The decision to start the album with "Happy" was not my choice.

What was your first choice?

Grant: I wanted to start with "Out in the Open," because that was the first song written for the album. I wrote it in 1999, when I finally started being creative again, when I felt the first real experiences of forgiveness and moving past shame to something better. As for the sequencing of songs on the album, I have a circle of people I work with, and we all have an equal vote. Even though I wanted to start with "Out in the Open," I got voted down! (Laughs.)

There's a nice mix of good old-fashioned love songs and songs of faith. How do you decide the mix?

Grant: I want to hear both types of songs. I am a music lover. For me, the backdrop of half the experiences of life includes music. It never crosses my mind, This is what people want to hear. My thinking is, This is a song I wrote thinking about my niece. Or, This is an idea that came to me when I looked at Vince across the table the other night. Every one of those songs, even the two I didn't write, was so life appropriate, though not necessarily autobiographical.

What's it like working with Vince on your records?

Grant: We didn't work together much on this one, but it's always the easiest thing in the world. I'm a huge fan of his, and I think he's an incredible talent. On this record, he played mandolin on one song, and sang a duet and a background part. It was very different with Legacy (Word, 2002), when he was a producer, directing me. When he produced Legacy, he was very encouraging, very nurturing.

Do your kids dig your music?

Grant: None of them have listened to the new record. The only one I asked to listen to it was Millie, who's 13. I put it up in her room about four months ago and said, "Would you listen to this, and tell me your three least favorite songs?"

That's an interesting way to ask!

Grant: That's what I'm always curious about. But she never did listen! But we were in the car yesterday with a couple of my teenage nieces, and they have really connected with this record.

So, what are your kids listening to?

Grant: Matt (15) has diverse tastes. He loves Radiohead and Coldplay. He likes Incubus, but their language gets a little bit rough. He likes some harder stuff, like Linkin Park. Millie is more into soundtrack stuff. Sarah (10) leans more toward Dixie Chicks and Jo Dee Messina and country. Corinna is actually the only one who listens to my stuff, and it's because she's only 2! I put her to sleep every night to Legacy.

But around my house, the release of Simple Things is no big deal. The much bigger news around my house is that Sarah, who's entering fifth grade, is getting contact lenses. That's the big news bulletin in our home. But that's real life!


Source

No comments: