Sign Up To Keep Up To Date on CCM Concerts in the Philippines!

Keep Up To Date on Pinoy CCM Events
Name
Email

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lead Me On … Again II


Looking back on the project, what over-arching message were you hoping to deliver?

Grant: Every album is just a collection of songs. I've never started a record saying, "What's the theme going to be?" It becomes what it is at the sum of its parts, and I felt those elements were honesty, imperfection, hope, and grit.

What are the songs you've received the most feedback on?

Grant: Well, I can tell you the songs I haven't gotten comments on and those are only two: "Sure Enough" and "If You Have To Go Away," both of which were just sort of funny and cheerful. But every other one has been talked about, like "Say Once More," with countless people telling me they've played it at their wedding. "Faithless Heart" has also brought in a lot of comments, and while I always favor a song speaking for itself, I chose to show some of the dark sides and honest sides of Christianity, which I think makes the good news better.

In 1988 you had already branched out to the mainstream by collaborating with Peter Cetera, but had yet to record the major crossover album Heart In Motion. What would you say the secular barometer was for Lead Me On?

Grant: I'm not really sure, though I think my credibility as a songwriter went up. I know one of most important relationships in work settings was with David Anderle—he was the head of A&R at A&M Records who had produced Judy Collins and was a real encouragement to Sting. He had been a creative backbone of the company for a long time, so when I walked in, I asked him, "What was your first experience with Christianity?" He said, "I'm Jewish and my first recollection of anything Christian was seeing anti- Semitism with a man-sized cross being burned in my front yard." There was something about making this record side-by-side with a man who'd seen the ugly side of Christian convictions and I was just affected by that. I had no agenda with him, but I loved his input and wanted him to be proud, which meant I didn't want any clichés. We still keep in touch to this day.

Do you feel like the remastering has brought new luster to this project?

Grant: I feel like we were able to rediscover the clarity of the original recording. I don't know what exactly happens to masters [over time], but they get dull sounding. They lose their sparkle and their definition. When I signed with EMI, part of their investment with me and my catalogue was to go back and blow dust off the old songs.

How did you come up with the bonus material for the double disc re-release?

Grant: EMI came to me with the idea and asked if I'd be willing do some bonus tracks, since it would benefit from something new on it. Well, I hadn't thought about them in years, but back in the summer of 1989, I paid to have two concerts recorded as multi-track recordings—I had never done anything with them. Back then, I was very aware of the musicianship of those I was touring with, all of whom were individually good and had such synergy together. I went to the label and said, "I don't even know if these old tapes are still playable, but have I got bonus for you!" We had to [take great care in transferring the audio], but then I got the call from the engineer who said they worked. Sure enough, I was transported back twenty years. It electrified something inside me and reignited a passion. It was like it turned back the clock spiritually, emotionally, and even physically like a jolt of lightening. This all happened as I was getting ready to go on spring break with my kids, but I was like a crazy woman trying to track down the band members without a tour in place!


Source

No comments: