Sign Up To Keep Up To Date on CCM Concerts in the Philippines!

Keep Up To Date on Pinoy CCM Events
Name
Email

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Amy Grant and Vince Gill perform at Eisenhower Hall on Saturday

Husband, wife bring holiday show to Point

Don't be surprised if you happen to see Grammy Award-winning, multiplatinum-selling artists Amy Grant and her husband, Vince Gill, walking around West Point or Bear Mountain State Park this week.

"For this tour, we thought, 'Let's go find some special places to play,'" Grant says via phone. "I've never been to West Point, but I know it's beautiful. One of my daughter's friends has a sister who lives in the area, so, of course we'll be working, but hopefully I'll be able to walk around the neighborhood and explore."

They'll bring their "Christmas With Amy & Vince" tour to Eisenhower Hall Saturday.

Grant started out (and still continues) performing contemporary Christian and gospel music, but she eventually crossed over to pop music in the early '90s and had huge success with the hits "Baby Baby," "Every Heartbeat" and "That's What Love Is For." Gill, a country musician, is known for the hits "Feels Like Love" and "What You Give Away."

Go! reporter Sandy Tomcho spoke with Grant about the album and the tour.

Tell me about "The Christmas Collection." You picked songs you already recorded and there are a few new ones on it, right?

It's a rather large collection with 18 songs. Fourteen are from previous recordings, and I've done four new songs. Two of those are original and two are classics that we just recorded.

How do you pick which ones are your favorites when you're compiling an album like this?

It's easy with computers, because you can pull up all the music, and there were some songs that I felt had to be on there, on the collection, but others I chose more because they were like glue connecting the songs. I feel like Christmas records tend to be records that people put on and leave on because maybe no other time is somebody conscious about having music on in their home or in their car, but at Christmastime, it's more of a tradition.

Did you have help picking?

My computer just happens to be very near the kitchen, and there's no doors on my office, and so, this summer, when I was picking the songs, of course I had my children home, and we had an 18-year-old friend of my daughter's living with us, and then we had an exchange student from France for three weeks, trying to have an normal American experience, which, I'm not sure it was normal, but (laughs) ... So, everybody's in the kitchen all the time and they were constantly walking behind me going, "No, no, no. Not that song. You've gotta put such-and-such on there." (laughs) I was sitting at the computer, and the peanut gallery was there. It was really enjoyable.

Vince and your daughter also appear on two songs, right?

He's not singing, he's playing, and it's a song we wrote together called "Baby, It's Christmas." It's a really romantic, kind of swanky song about romance on Christmas Eve, which I've never had. (laughs) There's too many kids. I'm always exhausted. The other new song is called "I Need a Silent Night," and our 7-year-old is speaking on that, and it's one of my favorite things on the record, her little voice, because you know it won't be that way long.

What kind of show can people expect?

The great thing about this amazing group of musicians we're bringing with us is that we could do anything, but it seems a waste to not do Christmas music. Vince and I have both recorded a lot of Christmas music, but because we haven't done our first show yet, I'm not sure how the evening's going to play out, but we'll be onstage together, and hopefully the whole evening will have a very conversational, sitting-around-the-living-room kind of feel.

Christian Music News Source

No comments: